In 1959, the company began a corn wet-milling operation, then expanded operations to produce high-quality, unmodified corn starch. The wet-milling operation was expanded once in 1962, twice in 1963, and several times since — allowing the introduction of acid-modified and oxidized starches for industrial use. During this time, GPC also produced its first sweeteners on an experimental basis.
In 1969, a line of hydrolyzed starch products, MALTRIN® maltodextrin and corn syrup solids, was introduced. Then in 1990, the third plant expansion in 10 years was announced to meet growing demand.
In 1996, GPC announced plans for a new corn wet milling plant in Washington, Indiana. Since completion, the plant has strengthened GPC’s ability to produce consistent quality products and to provide on-time performance.
In 1997, a Technology Development Center was constructed in Muscatine to develop manufacturing processes for new products, improve existing manufacturing processes, evaluate and recommend new technology, and provide samples for evaluations and trials.